Champagne Orange Cakes
Prep time: 30 mins
Bake Time: 30mins
Cool Time: 1 hour
1 1/2 cups polenta cornmeal or yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup orange juice
3 cups finely ground almonds
1 Tbsp. finely shredded orange peel
1 1/2 cups champagne, or sparkling wine
1/4 cup sugar
Finely shredded orange peel
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degress F. Grease and flour two angelette
pans or twelve 4-inch muffin cups; set aside. In a bowl combine
polenta, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat buffer with an electric mixer on
medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 2 cups sugar; beat
until well combined. Add eggs, beat until combined. Beat in orange
juice (mixture may appear curdled). Beat in polenta mixture just
until combined. Fold in ground almonds and orange peel.
3. Spoon batter into pans (about 2/3 cup batter each). Bake for
30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the centers comes
out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine champagne and the 1/4 cup sugar.
Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat; simmer,
uncovered, about 10 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1 cup.
5. Remove cakes from pans. Transfer cakes to a large platter, placing
cakes bottoms-up. Prick cakes with wooden toothpick. Carefully spoon
or brush champagne syrup over cakes. Immediately cover cakes with
plastic wrap; cool completely. Serve cakes at room temperature.
Garnish with additional orange peel.
Makes 12 cakes.
return to The