Smoked Gremolata Chicken
PREP TIME: 15
COOK TIME: 15
Chicken smoked with cherry wood chips
8 to 10 3 to 4-inch apple or cherry wood chunks
2 to 3 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1 6- to 7-pound whole roasting chicken
1 medium garlic bulb
1 small lemon, cut into wedges
Fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley sprigs
1. At least 1 hour before smoke cooking, soak wood chunks in enough water to cover. Drain before using.
2. For rub, in a small bowl combine the snipped parsley, the lemon peel, and pepper. Remove the neck and giblets from chicken. Sprinkle rub evenly over chicken; rub in with your fingers.
3. With a sharp knife, cut off the top 1/2 inch of garlic bulb to expose the ends of the individual cloves. Leaving garlic bulb whole, remove any loose, papery outer layers. Place the garlic bulb and lemon wedges in cavity of chicken. Skewer the neck skin to the back. Twist wing tips under back. Tie legs to tail with 100-percent-cotton string. Insert a meat thermometer into the center of an inside thigh muscle without touching bone.
4. In a smoker, arrange preheated coals, half of the drained wood chunks, and the water pan according to the manufacturer's directions. Pour water into pan. Place chicken, breast side up, on the grill rack over water pan. Cover and smoke for 3-1/4 to 4 hours or until meat thermometer registers 180 degrees F. Add more coals, wood chunks, and water as needed. Remove chicken from smoker. Cover chicken with foil; let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
5. Remove garlic and lemon wedges from chicken cavity. If desired, season chicken with salt. Garnish with parsley sprigs and additional lemon wedges. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
SHOPPING LIST :
Check each Item!
apple or cherry wood chips
fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
coarsely ground pepper
6- to 7-pound whole roasting chicken
SEARCH for more recipes or click on the MEAL-O-MATIC for another random recipe!